Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Beer news

Romanian beer is decidedly average. The best of the mass produced stuff is Ciuc, made here (and I don't say that because it's a local product, it's just the best there is - I think it's because we have the best water)

However, as I reported some years ago there did briefly appear the very wonderful Sapte Coline.Sadly this excellent beer was only available in its home town, Iasi, and was therefore a bit niche market. (It has, I'm told by my Iasi contacts, since died out).

However, I have just discovered a very nice replacement called MaDonna brewed in Galati. As far as I can tell the brewery doesn't have a website, but there is an article about it here (in Romanian). A real Belgian style beer brewed in Romania, and available throughout the country. Delicious. I am drinking some right now as I type this, and I can thoroughly recommend it. So there you go. Good beer in Romania.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Madonna is definitely OK (for a country with bad beer as Romania), and I like the fact that it's brewed of all places in my birthplace Galati, not the most likely place for niche products,
but I tend to agree with ratebeer.com that Ursus Black and Silva are slightly better.

Of course, it's all a matter of taste (I for one slightly prefer dark beers over belgian style whites) but yes, all these are better than real mass market ones.

Best,
G.

P.S. Brewer website (under construction):

http://www.martens.ro/index.php/en