Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tripping

There was a time when jetting round the globe was my idea of heaven. And for a while I had a job that allowed me to do just that - and in one year (I think it was 2002) I calculated that I took over 50 flights, which is going some, especially since I did all my flying in economy class. Now I was living in the US then, and at times there it seems you have to get a plane to go down the shops to get a pint of milk, but a significant portion (more then half) of those trips were international. But now, what with the rapidly developing Paula to enjoy (every day walking less and less like a piss-artist), along with the rest of the family, it feels like a chore.

However, there's only so much one can do in Csikszereda, and hence this year, as alluded to a couple of days ago, I have to do some work (or rather I have to earn some money, and working is the only really legal way I can think of of doing that, save from investing non-existent capital) - work which will initially take me on a whistlestop tour of South and Central Asia.

My first excursion is this coming weekend to the foreign country that is Bucharest, where I will be working for a few days next week. OK, I know Bucharest is not technically foreign, but the difference between the capital and rural Romania is so great as to be more or less a completely dfferent country. (Plus I have to crack open my extremely weak Romanian and remember to not answer everything with an "igen" or a "köszönöm").

Then in mid-Feb I really do start having to leave the country - firstly to Nepal for a week (and having spent some time working out flights, I can tell you that travelling to Nepal is not that simple - at least from Romania. Looks like I will have to change planes in Istanbul and Qatar - or Munich and Delhi). I get back here for a few days, just in time to celebrate my birthday, before heading off again - firstly to Uzbekistan, for a week or two, and thence on to Pakistan and subsequently Bangladesh. I'll get back to Csik for a few more days of catching up with the family , before heading to the UK - both England and Scotland, and finally returning to the hearth of my bosom (or whatever) in late April, when the spring should have kicked in.

So, anyway, this blog will probably take a short break starting very soon, and then afterwards might suddenly be filled with anecdotes of exotic locales. Or not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck and nice trips!
I can't wait until mid April to read your stories.

Anonymous said...

Jo' ki'randula'st e's munka'st
ki'va'nok! Good luck with your travel and work! Best wishes!

Emily said...

Bon voyage! Enjoy your travels and come back with lots of stories, but post about home too if you have a spare minute.

Bicyclemark said...

echoing the safe journey wishes.