Thursday, March 01, 2007

Top of the World, Ma

Yesterday morning I flew (or, more accurately, was flown) in a small plane along the Himalayan range from Kathmandu to Everest, a truly spectacular trip.

Unfortunately, the top of Everest was shrouded in clouds, but just as I was having my turn in the cockpit being shown the view by the pilot, the clouds gently parted, revealing the world's highest point. Right there in front of my eyes. It was, well, momentous. I'm not sure I can put it into words quite how exhilarating it was. Actually, I am sure that I can't.

However, for what it's worth, here is a picture that I managed to get just in that 15 second window that I had before the clouds rolled back in again. The summit is that peak you can see just to the left of centre (click on the pic to expand it a bit).



(And yes, I am aware that the way the clouds lie makes it look like there might be a higher peak just to the right, but they are deceptive. That slightly hidden bit is the peak of Lhotse. You can see what it looks like without the clouds here.)

Anyway, back in Europe now (albeit only just - am currently in Istanbul airport) and will possibly be able to relate stories of Nepal very shortly)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

Attila Vajda said...

This picture is cool :):):) I am sure Nepal was great, did not managed to get there yet unfortunatelly. And while you were in Asia, i was in Csikszereda, haha :) Saw also the hockey game with Steaua :) Great experience, the best that could happen while I was at home :)

All the best:)